View Single Post
Old 2013-01-13, 13:49   Link #57
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
But even this is ultimately an anonymous forum, too. I've only met one other person from AS in real life. If we carried on these conversations in a room in person, I doubt they would ever become so heated.
I suppose it's either a different sort of anonymity, or perhaps a different way of looking at one's anonymity. For myself, even though people haven't "met me" (in person), I like to think that they can still "get to know me". That's one of the reasons, for example, that I have never changed nicknames over the years, and once I finally chose an avatar, I'm not so inclined to change it easily. And I do take my "reputation" at least somewhat seriously. I try to treat people the way I would want to be treated as much as possible. Perhaps part of that is indeed age (and/or the generation you come from). If someone did meet me in person, I suspect they would find me to be pretty similar to my forum self in most ways (and perhaps I'm more true to myself here than I am to a lot of people who do know me in real life).

But yes, even this is a sort of anonymity, even if we're not all "Anonymous".