View Single Post
Old 2009-02-15, 16:18   Link #71
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That doesn't mean it makes sense. They're totally different creatures, so I don't think you can draw any useful comparison.
Their roots started similarly, so you can learn things about where they diverge and why. Personally, I like comparing the two, even though I have a slight preference. I still like yuri a lot, I'm just more picky with what I read of it. (I love classic shoujo in general, so my reading habits are of the Epic Tragic variety spiced with stuff like Rica'tte to remind me that lesbians can be happy too. )

Quote:
It was canceled once, and the audience for some of these magazines isn't that unclear either.
I'm pretty sure it's been canceled more than once, or at least canceled and restructured more than once. Regardless, I'm confident in my assertion that it's reaching for a dual readership, as it's a relatively niche product and I remember reading something along those lines concerning it.

Quote:
But I don't see the point of discussing those series. If we're talking about yuri and BL, then let's talk about that, not about any series with some yuri or BL content.
I don't think it's a waste of time to explore how the concept of BL and yuri is used in mainstream media, especially as the lines blur more and more in terms of pandering to audiences.

Quote:
There are Yuri Hime one-shots about OLs. Sadly, most are only that, one-shots.
Well, you don't get a lot of non-one shot BL office romances either, to be fair. (Personally, I have little interest in Yuri Hime stuff aside from what is personally recced from me after reading the magazine several times and coming to the conclusion that it was like your average BL mag in its overall lack of substance. Which, I suppose, is technically a good thing...but not a thing I want to be reading on a regular basis...)

Quote:
Ah, sorry then. I do need to read Rika'tte Kanji. And yeah, this kind of manga (like Plica or Honey and Honey) are pretty rare. I love Plica btw, it's damn funny.
Plica is wooonderful. I haven't gotten around to reading "Honey and Honey" myself, though...
ずっと変りはしない