View Single Post
Old 2012-05-03, 13:22   Link #27
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesh462 View Post
Obelisk, I assume you're a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh? How come you haven't recommended it at all? Do you like it for different reasons?
Actually, I’m a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh! manga if I must say specifically. The manga basically tell the story of Yami Yugi who is searching for his identity and pretty much focusing on that. Do you know why I don’t really like the anime? That’s coz there are too much fillers and bad ones at that. Those fillers pretty much wrecks the essence of the original story and defines the nature of the anime quite well, which is not more than an advertisement for Konami (or whoever producing the toys) to sell more Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. In short, Yu-Gi-Oh! anime turns the focus of the story from a lost spirit fighting in search for his identity and found friendship along the way (like in the manga), into just one big card-battle-driven anime. Do you know that in the manga, the card battles was only mainly used in 2 arcs? while the anime can’t live without card battles. Sigh.....

Of course, it's not all bad for the anime. I actually quite fond of the anime's take on the story's technical department. For example, they change the duel board from just an ordinary table into one big holographic machine and the folded duel disk too. I also quite enjoy the theme songs and background soundtracks. Oh yeah, the voice actors are also excellent too.

So, is Yu-Gi-Oh! moving? Yeah, pretty much. The friendship theme get really touching sometimes. In the anime, the effects kinda reduced a little due to the not-so-good animation, but it still there. Just make sure you skip the filler arcs of the neverending card battles .