View Single Post
Old 2012-11-04, 01:11   Link #92
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Gotta love how Sigurd thinks he can treat Leafa as property because her leaving will have a negative effect on his "Reputation." Kinda reminded me of what Heathcliff did when Asuna simply tried to go on "leave" to party with Kirito, then again Heathcliff had an actual reason for it. Met too many people like this online and quite frankly I find it sad. She was just in his "party" correct? Not Guild? Does ALO even have guilds?

Glad to see some character development for Suguha...kinda all I have to say about her.

God they love showing how adorable Yui is. I think it's funny that she obviously loves her "Mama & Papa" but has yet to realize what for herself what love is. considering she's an AI I think she's doing very well.

Kirito & Leafa being stalked by a bunch of Salamanders. Word must have gotten to them that a powerful Spriggan and Sylph have teamed up, and we just cant be having that in this game now can we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
What irritates me is the blatant distortion of facts, motivations, and the story itself of complaints. In my own personal opinion, if one is going to complain about something, at least have a sound argument.
This. I think I just found my new best friend on these forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
The problem is, it's only happening to prove that Sugou's a sicko -- which is plenty obvious anyway. Something absolutely horrible is happening to Asuna and will probably leave her emotionally scarred for life, but that doesn't get any attention from the story because it's not important -- the whole thing is nothing more than character building for someone who's as one dimensional as Snidely Whiplash.
I can see how people would have a problem with something happening just for the sake of it happening, but.......how else are we supposed to know Sugou is a depraved douchebag unless he actually does stuff that's depraved?

Spoiler for Long winded explaination & Saving Space:

Quote:
That's like saying, "If that picture were of a white guy eating fried chicken and watermelon, you wouldn't be offended."
Funnily enough, that was me last night eating my dinner and yes my brother decided to point that out to me.

Quote:
What makes the situation with Asuna sexist isn't the situation, but the wider cultural context where things like this happen to female characters far, far more often than male.
What makes the situation with Asuna sexist is......the fact that nothing about it is sexist at all. Asuna is in this situation cause Kirito is the main character of this story and Asuna is his love interest. If this story had Asuna as the main character then yes the roles would be reversed, though I doubt Sugou would be as quick to jump all over Kirito as he would Asuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, it's true that the author didn't have to put her in this situation in the first place. Given that she was placed in this situation, she's probably handling it as well as you might expect. But I think the argument is that the author should have told a different story with the characters instead of this kind of story. Part of this is because it employs old stereotypes that some people find annoying/tiresome. So you're right that people's opinions won't change, because the problem is that they don't like the plot development as a broad concept, independent of whether there's any in-story logic that explains it.
Kinda true but kinda not at the same time. While I agree Asuna didnt have to be put in this situation; no situation in any story ever has to happen in the first place. But then no story would ever be a story. And to the bolded part: This is why I love being me, for the most part, like 95% of the time, as long as it makes sense in-story logic wise, I can roll with it.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote