View Single Post
Old 2013-03-05, 00:33   Link #51
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Playing the PC version. Started with High Settings, settled with a mixture of High/Ultra. About an hour and a half in. Looks great so far. And, as ridiculous as it is to say this early into the game, I do think it's going to be in the conversation for end of year rewards. It's so surprisingly polished and epically put together from a developer that used to make...well....not AAA games.

Here are a few screenshots (spoilers, only if you've avoided the trailers):

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

The controls are smooth and fluid. I actually find the "parkour" aspect even better than Assassin's Creed, if only because I was always fighting the keyboard/mouse controls in that game, and not at all here. Combat is very smooth and fluid as well, and the automatic use of cover is...amazingly well implemented. None of that "snap" feel most games have when it comes to cover. This one has a very natural smooth feel to it all. I'm amazed that a developer like Crystal Dynamics could get the control and combat so well done.

I suspect some of the QTEs would be easier with a gamepad (not that they're hard, but mashing gamepad keys always struck me as "easier" than mashing keyboard keys). I was thinking of giving a shot at playing with my PS3 controller, but again, the controls with mouse/keyboard are smooth and fluid, so I probably won't.

Lots of "lore" to unlock for those who want more backstory (and those who just like to collect things), and the first "tomb" for more puzzle-oriented gameplay is available very early (I believe the tombs are optional, so if you're the type of person who played the tomb raider games primarily for that type of play, let me just get this out of the way now, this is primarily an action/adventure game, very similar-so far-to Assassin's Creed/Uncharted).

I like Lara's new look.

Though, I have an Nvidia card, so I guess I don't get to see the individual hairs. ;D

Also, early tip:

The screen you see when you're told to upgrade your skills isn't the only skill tree. So, you don't have to spend your skill point(s) on those skills. The more combat oriented (yay!) skills are in another tree which you'll see after you press esc as you're exiting out of the menu. Which I learned after the fact.

As PC ports go, I think it's very well done. The extras you get through Steam (and possibly other retailers) for spending 8 more dollars on the survival edition are about what you'd expect. Soundtrack (the last two tracks are suitably epic), artbook, poster (poster is high res enough that if you wanted to send it to be printed, you could). There's also a 57 page comic that serves as the prelude that segways into the beginning of the game. Would have been nice if they had just made that into a CGI movie or something. Haven't reached a point where the weapons show up, though I tend not to use DLC weapons, as they're usually overpowered/out of place.

Not gonna be able to play too much tonight. It was a loooooooooooong day at work, and sleep beckons. :/ Why don't games release on Fridays?!

Edit: Oh, I guess all the talk about Radeon cards and the hair in this game was a lot of empty boasting, because I just realized I can turn that option on even with an Nvidia card. It looks pretty good, but screenshots don't really do it justice, as you have to see the hair moving to appreciate it. With it off, the hair is typical video game hair, and with it on, you really do see all those individual strands move (which has its good and bad moments, but overall, I like it). :/

Apparently if you're using older drives and an Nvidia card, the pretty hair will crush your system. I'm using the latest 314 drivers without any issues.

Screenshot, anyways,

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2013-03-05 at 04:09.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote