View Single Post
Old 2010-01-27, 23:40   Link #5
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's a useless piece of shit.

No physical keyboard without springing $80 for a dock. No multitasking (though iPhone OS 4.0 may change this). No real OS. Doesn't support MKV container format. Only supports AAC audio for h.264 encodes. Cannot decode h.264 above 720p in the main 3.1 profile with more than 8 reference frames. Cannot display rendered softsubs.

$300 netbook + $35 Broadcom HD Accelerator >>>>>>>>>>>>>> iPad.

Apple really failed hard with this. All they did was take an iPod Touch and make it bigger. If they really wanted to make a tablet, they should have gone with a convertible tablet notebook design running actual Snow Leopard, built on one of the ULV Core 2 Duo, perhaps an SU9400, or even a ULV Arrandale, perhaps the Core i5-520UM.

This device though is just plain stupid. It fills a niche that doesn't even exist, a niche that's filled by countless other devices that just do more besides.

But of course it's Apple, so they'll still sell a bajillion of them.
It's not meant to be a full laptop replacement and your comment is what I can consider FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt). You can just convert the video file and hard sub them and they will play fine. Jailbreaking will probably solve the problem.

The advantage of using a mobile OS is that it have less overhead compared to a full OS. With a full OS, it's obviously going to use more resources and require more power, thus is why netbooks require bigger batteries just to get around the same battery life. ARM is very power efficient and it's more ideal than X86 processors for embedded devices like this.

I think netbooks are stupid because it's hardware limitations like the small keyboard and touchpad. Netbooks are just underpowered miniture notebooks and pretty much a smaller device like a smartphone can do most of the tasks of a netbook can do. Not to mention, there are laptops that are more powerful at the same price point as a netbook, so I see no point of a netbook really. Like it or not, the future is about mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets, etc where we store the information in the cloud, which is why there are things like Android and Chrome out there. Not everyone needs a full OS just to browse on the go.