View Single Post
Old 2012-11-01, 08:20   Link #1430
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
This is actually the reason why the current discussion on the Sibyl System's approach on justice and incarceration actually somewhat reminds me of Foucault's Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison in the way it attempts to tackle the the social and cultural trends that lead society to adopt current methods of incarceration and/or reformation. That is to say, the question for me becomes to ask whether the Sibyl System is itself a tool for reforming would-be criminals, or a tool of vengeful control over anyone with a potential to disrupt the status quo.
Both. If it deems you irreparable (which can happen without you doing anything bad), then Sibyl's the excuse to throw you away or push the worst jobs onto you while severely limiting the rewards you can get.

If not, but something happens to you - instead of letting you spiral down into depression and self-destructive behaviors, the way it happens in our societies, Sibyl will force you to heal. (Or be relegated to the category I discussed in the previous paragraph...)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote