View Single Post
Old 2007-10-04, 16:51   Link #1025
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
Is it easier to learn how to read and write after learning to converse and understand?
I'm probably not the best one to answer, but here are my two cents:

Yes, it is easier to learn to read and write after learning to speak *because it's easier learning to speak and comprehend*, not because speaking will aid you in writing. Being used to speaking may also cause you to automatically assume spellings of certain words which are wrong (nato for natto, satou or sato?). The only benefits I see would've come regardless whether you started with speaking or with writing - you've got some grammar and vocabulary.

I guess it's more about what your priorities are. Having no one to practice with, I chose to focus my time and energy into learning how to read and write... So while I'm OK at school work here, I'm the total baka gaijin when I have to go out and interact with the locals. If your goal is to read manga and converse in Japanese via e-mail, I recommend starting with reading and writing. And if your goal is to talk in Japanese with people, keep going with speaking. Eventually you should be able to reach both goals.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote