View Single Post
Old 2010-09-26, 09:55   Link #270
TCman

Well, that's what you get when you outsource a from origine a Japanese game to a software house in the UK that apparently have nothing in common with stylish games like Devil May Cry. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against gamedevelopers in the UK, since Codemasters is in my opinion still one of the best who brought out great racing games like Dirt 2 and Grid. The problem of CAPCOM is that the CAPCOM (Inafune-san) thinks that gamedevelopers in the west are the holy grail no matter what their capabilities were. But reality is that there are just a few game studios that are really good, also in the US/UK/Europe and so on. This kind of development has already happened to the manga/anime/game to live-action movie adaptations for a long time, e.g. Dragonball Evolution, Street Fighter the Movie, Dead or Alive, Super Mario Bros the Movie etc., and now the games are victims of this kind of development.

I also notice that if the oppossite is happening, i.e. western franchises to anime adaptations, they all turn into great works with style, e.g. The Animatrix, Batman, Halo etc.. And the upcoming Wolverine and Ironman anime are looking promising to me.

As for the new Dante, in my opinion the problem with the new Dante is that he doesn't possess that unique style that the "old" Dante has; Ninja Theory has cheapen Dante's design by making him look like a drugaddict/heavy smoker (and a smoking Dante is not cool and is a wrong message to gamers) which is a totally opposite design of what the original creator has intended. I am not against a black haired Dante, but it have to be with style, the white hair on top of new Dante's head just looks silly. Even Ichigo from Bleach could have been a better model for a young rebellious Dante; Tite Kubo's style is really unique, looks cool and stylish, I think that kind of style fits a young Dante much better. All this is just about the new design of the new Dante, since no actual gameplay videos are shown (right?), so this new DmC may turn out to be a decent game with good gameplay but lacks in the design department of the original, who knows? Lets hope Ninja Theory understands why fans of the original DMC games are raging about the poor design decisions/changes and are able to satisfy the fans in the end when the game is finally ready for release somewhere next year? On the other hand Ninja Theory seems to down play the old DMC games and so on by saying the new designs in their DmC game look much cooler!?
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote