View Single Post
Old 2012-01-12, 00:32   Link #174
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
To be honest, I definitely see where Kitten320 is coming from, and that's as someone who considers True Tears one of his all-time favorites.

What I would say in True Tear's defense, though, is that viewers can sometimes fall into the trap of good characters = good, easily likable people. Certainly the two can and often do go hand-in-hand, but you can have a good character that would still be somebody you'd find considerable fault with in a real life person (and not necessarily even want to associate with).

Hiromi is a very flawed character in my eyes, but she is also a very good character, partly because of how those flaws help to mold and shape the anime that she's in, with a certain degree of dynamism and intensity.

Also, in real life, a love triangle is a nasty thing. Somebody will almost certainly get hurt when one occurs, and often harshly so. True Tears presents it with all of the raw emotional poignancy and drama that it calls for. In real life, somebody in the love triangle gets hurt, and people usually come out of it a bit worse for wear, as hard decisions are made in the pursuit of love and/or in choosing who to love.

I will say, though, that Shin's easy transition from dating Noe to wanting to go back to Hiromi really didn't sit well with me either. I thought that was pretty low of him, and I probably always will. It's why I can't fault Jun for holding a bit of a grudge against Shin. If somebody hurt one of my two sisters that way, I probably would have a hard time letting that go too.

But then, True Tears isn't about idealizing romantic conflicts or the people that are in them, but rather about presenting them with all the drama and emotional intensity that they call for, and perhaps there is some good lessons to be learned from that.

Oh, and Noe > Hiromi. Noe is the character that made this show really fun and enjoyable during its more upbeat moments, and it's her fall (literal and figurative) that makes this show's commentary on love triangles so emotionally impacting.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-01-12 at 00:42.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote