View Single Post
Old 2013-07-25, 15:48   Link #32539
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Woopidoo, my browser crashed and deleted my post, so short version this time and no Erika-comment for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
then perhaps it's society that's wrong and not the dissemination of the truth of Rokkenjima?

I think that Japan's ethical crisis could be summarized as a refusal to confront things that are problematic under the notion that they aren't problematic as long as they don't cause social turmoil

By contrast, the west loves to raise issues to the forefront but lacks the compassion to view them as serious enough to condemn as morally harmful and the conviction to accept that a moral harm cannot be permitted to continue and that something probably needs to be done about it.
I admire your outlook on truth-seeking and society and I hope this is not a too personal question, but am I completely off in assuming that you are a straight, white male?
I agree completely that these are the paradigms in which the two systems operate and that they are problematic, but truth doesn't exist in a vacuum and my doubt is simply, if it is right to endanger the well-being of a few without their consent to change society into something that seems better to us.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote