Thread: Licensed Mouretsu Pirates
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-14, 16:33   Link #1876
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
The more and more I watch this show the more and more I can't help but think that Marika ought to be a male lead. Chiaki too I suppose, to serve as the friendly rival.

Don't get me wrong. I love Marika as a female character, and I like Chiaki too, and there are lots of cute moments that only work because they are girls, but the overall story would just be so much stronger with a traditional male lead you know? A young man raised by his mother, wanting to discover what his father was like, and fill his shoes...

I mean... all the other characters would stay essentially the same. Mami would stay the childhood friend (with a small bit of a possible love interest in the mix). Markia-kun would get to play the prince to Gruier's princess (another possible love interest). Chiaki-Kun would be the normally silent stoic type who gets to let loose when pretending to be his friend Mariaka-kun. I'd still stay away from romance, but the subtext would all fit better. I suppose the school would have to become coed, but that's not a big deal.
Well, female captains in sci-fi franchises are not new e.g
1. Star Trek's USS Voyager (NCC-74656, Kathryn Janeway), USS Lakota (NCC-42768, Erika Benteen), USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-C, Rachel Garrett), Columbia (NX-02, Erika Hernandez), USS Trident (Galaxy Class with multi-vector assault mode, Elizabeth Shelby), USS Enterprise (NCC1701-D, part time/night watch shifts, Beverly Crusher),

Under Beverly Crusher's command, the Enterprise destroyed a Borg ship. Beverly Crusher has her own command with USS Pasteur.

2. Gundam Seed's Archangel (Murrue Ramius), Dominion (Archangel class, Natarle Badgiruel), The Eternal (Lacus Clyne). Gundam 00's Ptolemaios (Sumeragi Lee Noriega).

Women has thier own dreams and aspirations e.g. Amelia Earhart. Markia's "coming of age" plot would be fine when overlayed with Amelia Earhart's or Jessica Watson's examples.

Also, Ririka Kato applied for a captain's position on a star cruiser.

Last edited by encia; 2012-04-14 at 17:15.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote