View Single Post
Old 2011-05-03, 04:11   Link #13
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

This show took me by surprise. While I generally find enjoyment in almost anything, so much of it is forgettable quickly after I've finished. The list of anime that have truly stuck with me over the years is small, and I'm proud to add Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica to that list.

However at first, I didn't really find the series that great. Sure, Mami's death was a clear sign that this was not your average Magical Girl show, but after watching anime like Elfen Lied and Evangelion, it's hard to be disturbed or shocked these days. It wasn't until Sayaka and Kyoko appeared that I really got into the show, and the various characters and overall mystery of the story really sucked me in.

Sayaka's downfall in particular hit me hard. Episode 8, and the final moments of it, left me reeling for a week. I didn't want her to die, or turn into a Witch. I didn't want her to become some monster that fights her friends. It was then that I realized this show was truly something special. It was also when I realized how much I hated Gen Urobuchi. Was I really just watching a show of little girls being fed to a meat grinder?

Around this time someone had asked me what I thought the theme of the show was. I struggled with the answer to this question, and then I remembered a speech in Lord of the Rings by Samwise Gamgee. He spoke of hope, and darkness and light, and the reason why some stories stuck with you despite how awful they first seemed. He spoke of perseverance and courage. It was a speech that has always cheered me up.

Little did I know how much my answer would come true. I said the theme was Hope, and the show delivered, in spades. Sayaka did meet a bad end, but in the end the darkness was given a reason to fear the light, which was Madoka and Homura and all the struggles of the various girls in the story. Gen delivered a powerful story, and I could no longer hate him.

Was the ending of the story perfect and positive? No, and that was the point. The fighting goes on, the struggle continues. That's the point of hope, the drive to keep moving forward to something better no matter how many times people tell you not to hope, that it's useless. There's inspiration to take from this message, and it's a good one.

The audio visual elements of Madoka aren't perfect. The soundtrack is amazing, but some tracks do repeat. Not jarring, but noticeable. The visuals are a mixed bag. The Witches almost come off as Monty Python sketches at times, and while disturbing, don't typically feel dangerous or menacing. Charlotte's second form was probably the closest to this feeling of terror, the rest...mixed results. Suffice to say that the few battle scenes are well done, and the final episodes were fantastic in both audio and video. Some might not have liked the "pancake" character designs, but I thought the design was perfect. The cute look juxtaposed the darkness of the story and they were able to convey emotion very well.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the amazing voice acting, especially the later half of the story when things start to pick up. Episode 10 in particular really pulled at me, when Homura is forced to shoot Madoka and screams as she is pulling the trigger. Madoka's cries of agony as she turns into a Witch. Sayaka's tearful "I'm such a fool" speech. Kyoko talking to Madoka about saving Sayaka.....you can almost feel the sentimental parts of her words. I could go on.

Kyubey deserves a special mention as, simply put, the best villain I have EVER seen. Sure, other villains get moments of awesome, but Kyubey is easily one of, if not the, most complex villains I have ever seen. Not in his actions exactly, but in his morality. Never have I seen a villain where the audience is asked "is he evil?" and get so many divisive and conflicted answers. That said, it was with utmost satisfaction seeing Madoka finally making her wish, and his realization that he just got screwed over.

Is he still Kyubey in the end? Oh yes....but I'm not sure I'd have it any other way.

When all is said and done, Madoka will not appeal to everyone. It isn't perfect, and if you linger too long on some elements of the story you'll start thinking how little sense some of it makes. However, overlook the small stuff and look at the show as a whole, and I think you'll find a rare gem in the anime industry. Time will tell if Madoka joins the legends of the past, but at least for the Magical Girl genre, this is one of the best stories you'll ever experience.

10/10