Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-04, 21:36   Link #4910
Autumn Demon
~

How comprehensive was this ban on minarets? Did it define what a minaret is?

As a non-religious person, a minaret is just a cool looking tower with historical significance to me. I wonder what would happen if someone built a minaret-looking tower in Switzerland but didn't call it a minaret nor let it be used for religious purposes.

This ban on minarets goes beyond just freedom of religion to infringe the freedom of expression (of architects) and equality (of towers (yes, towers have rights too!)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Constitution
Article 2. [The Swiss Confederation] shall ensure the greatest possible equality of opportunity among its citizens.

Article 5. The Confederation and the Cantons shall respect international law.

Article 10. Everyone has the right to personal liberty

Article 15. Freedom of religion and conscience is guaranteed. Everyone has the right to choose freely their religion or their philosophical convictions, and to profess them alone or in community with others.

Article 16. Freedom of expression and of information is guaranteed.

Article 17. Censorship is prohibited.

Article 21. The freedom of artistic expression is guaranteed.

Article 26. The right to own property is guaranteed.

Article 35. Fundamental rights must be upheld throughout the legal system.

Article 36. Restrictions on fundamental rights must have a legal basis. Significant restrictions must have their basis in a federal act. The foregoing does not apply in cases of serious and immediate danger where no other course of action is possible. Restrictions on fundamental rights must be justified in the public interest or for the protection of the fundamental rights of others.
The Swiss Constitution is 197 articles so I'll stop here. :O :O :O :O