Thread: Licensed ef - a tale of memories.
View Single Post
Old 2007-10-22, 07:51   Link #325
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

First chance I've gotten to post a proper comment on this anime.

First things first, I can't believe this show has gotten such a negative backlash, since, IMO, it's hardly put a foot wrong in its first two episodes. The characters interactions are extremely well done, the dialogue is pretty good, the relationships are set in stone to a large extent, and actually make sense, and the atmosphere is suitably surreal. The animation isn't great, but I don't understand how people can berate the visual directing. This, IMO, is how one pushes boundaries in what is otherwise a fairly stagnant genre. It might be a superficial uniqueness, but it's a uniqueness nonetheless that will, once it's over, separate this anime from others in the genre. The best things in this anime, so far, aren't aesthetic, but the aesthetics do a wonderful job of setting up a surreal atmosphere and keeping the audience on its toes. Too often directors aren't willing to push the boundaries of animation, so I'll almost always applaud the few cases that do.

Ep 2

As one could probably guess, I think this has "winner" stamped all over it. Never mind the visuals. I may be biased towards a unique visual effort, but I won't back away from defending it. But, it's plot and characters that make this anime, and they're all interesting and fairly human at this stage, and that's step one towards making good romance anime. Step two is genuine character interactions, and this has that as well. I think this show has serious potential, and I continue to watch with baited breath.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote