View Single Post
Old 2012-03-19, 22:30   Link #360
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I wouldn't be so harsh on Hitomi....ultimately it was Kamijou that accepted. The feeling in the anime was that Sayaka's love was one sided.
That's honestly not the feeling I was getting. I wasn't getting clear signals in either direction here. I don't think that much can be safely assumed about Kamijou's feelings towards Sayaka. It's quite conceivable that he might have accepted a romantic confession from Sayaka if she had made one.

Yes, Kamijou snapped off at Sayaka once, but it was for reasons that didn't have to do with her, per se. Listening to beautiful violin music when he no longer could play the violin filled him with angry regret, at least for a moment. It's understandable.

Quote:
He was grateful for her support, but he never seemed to reciprocate any of her feelings.
How can you reciprocate something that you don't even know is there? Was Kamijo reciprocating any feelings to Hitomi before she confessed to him?

Quote:
I think she loved him because of his music, that was the real connection between them. She just wanted him to play again, because he had the gift of playing.

So I guess I'm saying that Sayaka was as naive about love as she was about justice, and I think with her two speeches in 8 and 12, that we see how she grew from both.
I don't think that she was naive about justice. Love, perhaps, but not justice.

What's naive about wanting to protect the people that you love? What's naive about objecting to somebody letting innocent people die in order to collect Grief Seeds? I don't think a person would need to be naive to agree with Sayaka here. I'm certainly inclined to agree with her on both of these points.

The 24 hour time limit really was harsh, and I think it's a perfectly fair point to raise against Hitomi. Intentionally or not, that was cruel of Hitomi. Especially when you consider how she delivered the revelation to Sayaka. She could have been less blunt in her words, and tried to soften the blow. She did nothing of the sort.

Now, I don't think that this ruins Hitomi's character or means that she should be completely hated. But I don't see the point in sugarcoating what Hitomi did. In truth, she put romantic desire before long-standing friendship. She has a right to do that, but viewers also have a right to disagree with it.

And I don't find the interpretation offered up by Akashin that compelling. Kamijo was in the hospital for serious injuries. Is that really the best time to make a romantic confession to him? I think Sayaka had perfectly good reasons for putting that off, and Hitomi shouldn't hold that against her.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-03-19 at 22:58.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote