View Single Post
Old 2012-06-19, 15:25   Link #3282
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Frankly, while I can understand and wholeheartedly approve the quest for truth, I don't see the point of the quest for certainty. I see picking the latter over the former as akin to doing drugs as a substitute for happiness.
Who said anything about the quest for truth?

The quest for certainty is expressed through our innate need for something to believe in. We all share this. It's part of the human condition. A need for meaning, a desire for life to have value. To be human is to be aware of the concept of value. To be bereft of this awareness is to be something inhuman.

I said nothing about the importance of this awareness. I merely stated that it's there and that it's folly to deny that it exists within each and every one of us. I believe that, for many of us, the denial or ignorance is so strong that it would take a lot of living just to overcome the mental block, to recognise that the awareness exists.

To be happy; to laugh; to whoop with joy — to do any of these is to accept that you've achieved or experienced something you value, something you believe in. You may not have articulated that belief in so many words, but it's there. For some, such belief leads ultimately to God, or some other form of enlightenment. For others, it leads to other, more secular but no less spiritual, state of mind.

I make no judgment on these sets of values. I merely acknowledge that they exist, and point out the foolishness of those who would preach that only religion will lead to ignorance. As it turns out, religion can claim no monopoly over that distinction — humans are pretty capable of deluding themselves without the help of God.

The great joke is that all values are mental constructs. They aren't physical objects that exist independently from the minds of human beings. Without us to observe the beauty of a vase, that object would just be a vase or, rather, a lump of clay.

Yet we continue to seek such values, whether consciously or unconsciously. Yin and yang. There will always be that little bit of messiness in the order we seek to impose. It takes faith to accept that what order we find, whatever comforting certainty we can grasp, is worth the messiness — and uneasy doubt — that it inevitably brings along.

Men of faith learn to laugh, in good humour, at the necessary futility of their task. Men without faith merely succumb to debilitating despair.

Spoiler for extract from Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion:
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote