View Single Post
Old 2007-05-08, 11:19   Link #129
Erio
Hiromi

Lightbulb

For me, mages use incantations in order to concentrate for the collection of external energy and the organization of such massive amounts of energy. I say 'collection' because I'm pretty sure the energy gathered was summoned somehow. In other words, the energy used for these big spells do not come only from the caster.

A good example of this is Nanoha's Starlight Breaker, where Nanoha takes time to collects external energy, though we dont see Nanoha recite an incantation in order to collect the energy. Another example is Fate's Photon Lancer Phalanx Shift spell in episode 11, first season. Hayate definitely has the advantage here, because her Book is a massive storage device capable of storing energy from various different sources, so technically she does not need to summon or gather energy from external sources to cast her big spells.

-----
I'm going a bit out of the way here, as I thought of a few interesting ideas. Dont take this part too seriously.

(I think of "ceremonial" spells as just "collection" spells)

Thinking about Geomancers from Dungeons & Dragons, what if the mage needs the surrounding area to have the correct type of energy for him or her to gather and use in the ceremonial spells?

Example: Nanoha's Starlight Breaker, again, collects the scattered energy leftover from the battle. If she decides to use Starlight Breaker at the beginning of the battle, the power of the spell would be meager compared to the same spell if used later.

What if Atem des Eises can only be casted in cold areas? Then Hayate must have stored ice-elemental energy in her Book. In other words, if she needs ice-elemental energy, she goes to the pages of the book where she stored that type of energy. This would explain why Hayate uses ceremonial spells.

Disclaimer: I completely invented this crazy idea. No matter if its wrong, I thought it was interesting.