View Single Post
Old 2012-03-18, 17:09   Link #102
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The Madhouse adaptation of Wolverine is a prime bad example of anime design, he was given a bishie sharp chin and skinny look, completely taking away his rugged and wild original Marvel design, destroying his personality. Anime tend to go for such form first, function later designs. If you were to look at 10 different characters all in a static neutral standing pose, you won't be able to tell what kind of personality they have because their designs don't reflect their function much. If you were to put Wolverine, Clark Kent, Joker, Homer, side by side, you'd be able to tell who's wild, who's a good guy, who's insane or lazy even without them doing anything.

Of course there are still great character designers such as Hirohiko Araki, who could create designs that are badass all the way to downright insane and bizarre. Eiichiro Oda's designs for One Piece started out pretty generic but went exponentially creative by the years, characters literally come in all shapes and sizes.
I agree with the points you are making in this thread.
But for this one, I can't understand how you could possibly think this is a good thing.
This is exactly what ticks me off when watching western animation and makes it impossible for me to enjoy it for anything else than comedy.
This feature breaks any immersion and changes otherwise interesting characters into mere caricatures.

Coincidently I have the same problem with One Piece. It's hard to enjoy the story and look past what I perceive as joke characters.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote