View Single Post
Old 2012-03-19, 10:43   Link #112
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Exaggeration can used to amplify effects not just positively, but also negatively, which means you don't have to exaggerate the right part for the right job, but a large contrast also creates a stronger design.

Lets take a huge bulky guy, 190cm tall, 95 kg for a simple example, immediately we associate such a character to brute strength, brawn over brains, possibly a villian, one of the strong henchmen.

But then I give this character a contrasting personality to his image, he is actually very gentle, he is a violinist and tends his garden and love playing with his two pet dogs.

Is it still too comedic? Maybe his wife died 2 years ago, he has been living alone in a big house which makes his size seem small. We play around with relationships, spatial interaction. There are countless ways to play around with characters of any sort, as long as not everyone looks the same.

Big guy interacting with small guy, big guy with small sword fighting with small guy with big sword, big guy racing a small guy through a swamp. They are the last soldiers of their respective platoons on a war zone, how do they go about killing each other?

It is perfectly fine for exaggeration to happen in serious stories, we can even exaggerate the seriousness for greater effect.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote