Thread: Licensed UN-GO (noitaminA, BONES)
View Single Post
Old 2011-11-05, 17:30   Link #319
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
...you simply don't get it. This is not what we're talking about. We're talking about something completely different, the human relation to these androids. Whether humans have the right to create something with the purpose to fully exploit it, and then when it gains consciousness, continue treating it that way because that's what the life form "wants" - simply because they can't not want it, not unless it elevates above a certain level.

Obviously the android doesn't think it's a big deal. It's what it was created to do and in Kazamori's case it's not conscious enough not to think it's a big deal. But it is a big deal for humans because it raises a number of ethical questions regarding how us, humans, should approach and treat this life form. Whether it's okay to shrug and say "it's okay she wants it anyway/she doesn't care anyway" and not think about why she wants it/doesn't care. And so on and so forth.
Well, feel free to say she shouldn't exist. But then, what do you think it means to be told that your entire life is a mistake?

That's what actually happened in Un-Go. She has been banned from society using false morality grounds, purely so the military can focus on obtaining her for war.

"Not conscious enough to think it is a big deal"?
I see. We are never going to agree. You assume all sentient life, organic or otherwise, will care about sex even if they have no biological imperative. And if they don't then clearly they are not advanced enough to make their own decisions.
I can see where you made that decision.
Human Children don't understand sex => can be exploited for sex => Thus to not care about sex means to be childish => Android doesn't care about sex => She should automatically care about sex if she is intelligent => Thus she is not intelligent and needed to be "saved".

The "She needs to care about sex if she is conscious/intelligent" is the point of logic chain I strongly doubt.