View Single Post
Old 2006-01-04, 12:21   Link #208
Moon Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
That'd be unhealthy.

And yet what was shown was that genes were to be trusted more than achievements. Haven't you watched Gil's cartoon? Even if you work hard to get your job, and prove you're good at it - his goons may come to take you away "because your genes dictate it".

Your point? I know we have some tolerance for damage. But the truth remains we are far more likely to mutate into a handicapped person than into a genius.

Because that's where he wants to be? Besides, how are you going to say where he's "best"? What does it mean to be a better philosopher than mathematician? There is no accurate way to measure your greatness at either, and even if there was, you'd be comparing the proverbial apples with oranges.

That's a pretty big IF. In fact, let's face it, it's a pretty impossible situation to have.

What, Destiny Plan is going to eliminate car accidents? Pull the other one, it's got a bell on. You seem to have a problem with the fact that "completely controlled evironments" are impossible.

It is, however, possible to control the environment very tightly. But the more control you want, the more ressources you need. It can't be done on the scale necessited by the Destiny Plan.

Read the part with "he limps for the rest of his life". Heck, let's just say the car takes his legs off. What then?

I know that. But it doesn't adress my point at all that relying solely on genes is unreliable compared to direct observation of a subject.

Their genetic potential means nothing if they don't use it. Which do you think is the true genius? The one with the best genes who never even learn how to read, or the one with slightly lesser genes who creates a new physics theory? Would you give a Nobel Prize to the former?

Nowadays, we have more freedoms, yet fewer wars than in centuries past.

That's because we have more leeway. We don't need to have so much control. We take masses of kids and try to make citizens out of them. We don't try to decide what their jobs are going to be before they're even born.
Unhealthy for who and how? And my point is he didn't do that now did he?

In the cartoon they took a person that was not the best for job, removed him from office and replaced him with someone better.

The truth remains the it's called evolution not de-evolution.

I draw, that doesn't mean I'm as good a drawer as I am at let's say math. I like to draw, but that doesn't make me an artist. Even in something as subjective as art there are standards to judge the "greatness" of an artist. It's called the nine gates of art. So you can judge if someone's a good at something. You can also judge if they're better at other things as well.

Nothing is impossible, that you would hide behind it means you no longer look towards the progress of making that which is deemed "impossible" possible. There were a lot of things that were thought be "impossibilities" in the past that are now commonly accept as easily acchieved

"It can't" is just an escape for those that don't want to try.

limps can be replaced through transplantation. Even by todays standard we can replace or reattach some limbs that have been served. The Cosmic Era seems to have far more advancements in medical technology than we do.

Again, it's not solely nature. It's nature in a controlled nuturing environment

The idea is that both learned to read an write. The idea is both were taught the same. What makes them different are their genes. The person with genetic genius will far surpass the person without it.

In the pasted 100 years more people have died because of war than in another other century of the passed. The Rawanda killing fields saw more death than the massacre of Adolf Hitler's reign of terror. Our society turns out more sociopathic criminals than the historical societies of Rome, China, Japan, Greece.

We take children and neglect them to the point that they develop social disorders, and give them the proper psychological motivation to carry out acts like colombin
Moon Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote