View Single Post
Old 2009-07-02, 09:10   Link #6
Akka

When I saw it was a new Kyoto Animation anime, I just jumped on it, as the good fanboy I am.
Big disappointment, sadly.

KyoAni's strengths are making believable, loveable characters, with strong emotional moments in the story and incredible artistic skills.
The editing and overall artistic skills are still more or less here, but the rest wasn't at all like usual.

The characters don't really feel believable, they feel like "anime characters", with the expected reactions from anime characters in expected situations ; they lack the "natural" that would make them feel like persons and not, well, "anime characters". Additionnaly, they aren't really interesting, and I didn't really care what would happen to them - in fact, Yui and Riccha were quite bothersome and I was enjoying NOT seeing them :-/

Most of the show is VERY predictable, with predictable jokes and predictable reactions and predictable situations, which hampers a lot the fun there could have been and just make it feel "another one".

There is nearly no drama and emotion, and the little there is feel totally forced and weird. Again, a usual strong point that was a weak point in this show.

On the whole, I was quite bored, which is really a first in a KyoAni production. I often interrupted an episode in the middle to do something else, because I didn't care at all what happened. And I found myself somehow relieved when I finished the last episode - while I'm usually somehow sad, thinking "noooh, it's the end !" - the last concert's only effect was make me think "hey, I'd rather watch the one in Haruhi, this one was actually good".

So, in the end, a pretty mediocre show that was a huge disappointment and left me bored.

Still, I didn't gave it a 4 like I planned at first, and gave it "average" rating (6) instead. Because the realization is good, and I am maybe a bit harsh with it because I expected something "excellent" and only got something that was extremely average.

But it certainly is, by FAR, the worse show ever made by KyoAni.