View Single Post
Old 2008-07-07, 04:53   Link #94
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
"Slice of Life" is a terribly vague term. My memory is also vague but if I recall correctly, in the first MTTK we had episodes with a clear plot structure and most importantly a resolution. So I wouldn't classify it as Slice of Life at all. The jury is still out on this one of course but we already had a mini-plot (confessing girl #1234567) and the start of an overarching plot (lil' country girl goes into the big city).
I tend to classify slice of life as anything that slows things down in order to show the more mundane side of life. Even if it's sci-fi, romance or comedy, if it concentrates on the simpler things in life, unlike most anime which is more focused on story continuation or episodic content based on the supernatural/specific idea it centers around (like sports anime. Most sports anime have a definite slice of life feel to them. But they are centered around sports, so that's the genre specification there). From what I've seen of this series and understand about it, that's what it definitely is. I mean the first episode was just about a girl transferring out of Hokkaido and giving her friend a hand in a normal romantic situation (albeit she used magic for it). Anime news network seems to agree with that kind of specification too. I mean, there's a good reason why people keep referring to Azumanga Daioh as a slice of life show even if it's definitely a comedy too, because its entire premise stems from such daily, mundane things that has albeit gone comedically wrong.

Quote:
Well, whatever buttons in photoshop were clicked in whatever order, maybe we can agree that the backgrounds were too overwhelming. I watched the episode thinking stuff like "Oh what a beautiful tree. Wait, what did that pale little blob just say about her father?"

I'm hesitant to classify this as animation at all though I can understand that people find the visuals relaxing.
I agree. If it's to rotoscope, it should have a general sense of movement to be classified as an actual animation. Even if it's that weird Keanu Reeves animation in Scanner Darkly, at least it was actually animated by a staff of animators and it was focused on the movement and manipulation of animation-fied real life graphics. With this, it's like they put rotoscope and slapped lousy animation on top. No real 'vision' with it. Definitely not something like 5cm per second.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote