View Single Post
Old 2012-10-22, 16:17   Link #84
Maerskian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Ubuntu with SMPlayer and the restricted-extras package will play most anything you throw at it except for commercial Blu-rays.

Does your TV have a compatible video interface like VGA or HDMI? I use a DVI<>HDMI converter cable to connect from my computer's NVIDIA card to my TV, but I can also use a VGA cable. I run Kubuntu 12.04. I've never tried using things like a remote control, but it know it's possible. If you decide to set up an Ubuntu-based HTPC, I recommend giving this forum a look.

You need a relatively fast CPU to handle 10-bit video since nearly all H.264 decoders built into graphics cards like NVIDIA's do not have 10-bit support. I'm impressed your Popcorn Hour can play the [BSS] Kurenai episodes. Starting around episode six, they began using the "ordered chapters" feature in Matroska where the OP and ED are played from separate files. Some open-source player software like mplayer did not handle that feature well. I began using the mplayer2 fork which had better support for ordered chapters and for ASS subtitles.
Yes, my screen has several connections for almost everything; it's a Pioneer 5090 ( the las panel of the Kuro series, and still a reference nowadays ) :

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/ar...090/index.html

In fact, the Popcorn A-200 is connected through the HDMI . And BTW ... it even played some shows with the "ordered chapters" feature already ... problem are certain codecs ... or the "combination of" ... or... whatever it is ... LOL ... wish i knew the cause.

Problem is, none of my current computers can work as an "ultimate" HTPC ... they even lack enough audio outputs for shows with 5.1 ... and i already own a 5.2 HC since a time ago ... but still, i'm kinda reluctant to buy a new HTPC right now: Spend some thousands on nice speakers for a HC is no big deal; if they are good, they'll be like that for decades ( and have solid proof on my friends and my own vintage speakers ) ... but computers/mobile phones/etc... are on another league. For the time being, i'll wait until SSDs raise their storage limits ... and lower their prices .... or until they drop prices on regular SATA HD's ... to the way they were before the flood at Thailand ...

By the way, this the updated list of recommendations from this thread:

HACK
Beelzebub
Chihayafuru
Level E
WORKING!!
Black Butler
Broken Blade
Hourou Musuko
Fate/Zero
Working!
anamaru Youchien
Ghost Hunt
Moshidora
Dantalian no Shoka
Un-Go
Denpa Onna
Hourou Musuko
Dantalian no Shoka
Un-Go
Shion no Ou
Mirai Nikki
Kodomo no Jikan[
soul eater
Sword art online
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
Showa Monogatari

.... and still need to get some playable versions for these ones:

Joshiraku
Binbougami ga
Bunny Drop
Mawaru Penguin Drum

Also:

Started a few shows i found while searching other shows:

- Kemeko : This was particularly praised & recommended as a very underrated comedy show that introduced many random & weird gags.
Still too soon to judge it i guess... but seems hard this one can compare to the well known heavyweights.
- Hyakko : Highly recommended for fans of Azumanga Daioh, Nichijou, Hidamari Sketch ... etc ... but after a couple eps. would say the aforementioned shows are on a different league ...
- Softeni : This one was recommended for people looking for weird/random comedy shows ... but in the end, it seems way too light ( considering it was on the same list as Sexy Commando , Ping Pong Club and the likes ... ) ... and lacking a style of his own.
- Papuwa ( second season i think ) : Had some great expectations with this one... in fact, i've been years after it, but back then nobody managed to finish subbing this show. In the end... it wasn't exactly what i was anticipating ( weird comedy , bizarre designs, etc... ) ... so it'll be hard to go on ...

Also started with :

- Psycho-pass: I was pretty excited about the reviews talking about the comeback of the real old Studio I.G. , and it was already tagged with "Cyperpunk" , "Dystopia" , "Sci-Fi" all along .... looked really promising .

After the first 10 minutes i already had a major let down; i see so many elements i disliked on Hellsing right here: a certain focus on guns , a weak/fragile looking & really shy female character that is supposedly the #1 ranking of his promotion at the police academy ....

Guess i still need where it goes...
Maerskian is offline   Reply With Quote