View Single Post
Old 2012-10-13, 07:09   Link #65
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Nothing wrong with having the fantasy. But building a subculture around a sexual fantasy just seems distasteful to me and, frankly, boring. I only think of my sexual fantasies at one time and that's when I'm doing the deed. They are quite dull otherwise. Fujoshis obsess about them outside of when they're "doing the deed", and that's why I find them unpleasant to be with.

But as I said, if you have that fetish, nothing wrong. I just think it's dysfunctional when your hobbies revolve around your fetishes.
I think there's an element to this you may not be considering. This sort of thing may not even necessarily be each fujoshi's "personal sexual fantasy" at all, but just the sort of lingua franca of the subculture. People don't necessarily want to talk about their personal fantasies because they're revealing and embarrassing, but they may argue all the time about their favourite pairings in fiction because it's part of their fan identity. Even if it has its roots in something "vulgar", it comes to take on a different sort of meaning. (Whether you find them "unpleasant to be with" as a result is notwithstanding.)

That aside... your attitude about sex and related issues strikes me as very... stereotypical male. It's very... practical? (There are oh so many puns that could be used here...) Well, now that we've given the fujoshis more to fantasize about, we'd probably better leave it here...

(When Midonin wanted us to talk more about the fujoshi angle of his question, I'm not sure if this was exactly the foreseen destination...)