View Single Post
Old 2008-08-09, 00:21   Link #2108
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastilin View Post
I believe it translates into "daemon".

Now hold on, I am fundamentally insulted by your proposition. You're massively underestimating current technology and this is why I find the definition of "True Magic" to be so irritating. With enough resources we can do almost but not quite anything at any level of technology. Technology makes harder things considerably cheaper than they were before, but with enough money, they ARE possible. When I mentioned this to my friends, they pointed out rightly that with unlimited resources, which are said to still be less than the potential of "True Magic" you could destroy the sun as a stone-age culture by requesting a big enough pile of rocks, which would subsequently turn into a supermassive black hole and absorb it. I was thinking I'd use a sequence of satellites to exert a gravitational pull on a nearby black hole, either turning it so it's proton jet smashes the sun into bits or pulling it into the vicinity and thereby causing a slam. We DO have the technology now, it would take millions of years to get there and require more raw materials than exist in several solar systems, but we could do it if we had the stuff, which you said we did. Compared to that, hurtling antimatter into the sun is easy, use an orbital rail-weapon which, incidentally, the military is testing (Not the orbital bit, the "fist of god" design didn't need it).
Gathering materials is possible given unlimited time, but moving it is impossible as long as technology doesn't advance. And again, F/SN happened not today, but more than 10 years before--which is even less possible for the technology to exist.

And again, you mentioned it is possible for stone-age culture people to request a big enough pile of rock to make a dark hole--but you forgot the factor that stone age people don't even know about black hole, so they won't be requesting enough rocks. And also, black holes does not form with just mass--you'll require lots and lots of energy to as well.

And, current technology won't send anything to the sun--don't forget in the T-Moon universe, Gaia will stop anyone trying to destroy mankind...so even before that technology is invented, they'll be killed by counter force.

Quote:
Why bother with a catapult? Have independent superconductive rails beneath the ground and exert magnetic fields all over the battlefield as needed. Calibration would be a pain and you'd need to either compress the material or cool it to zero. But it's doable. The technology powers bullet trains.
As long as you can do it with science, it's not a 'miracle' but just a 'magic'. I'm saying catapult because it's the most ancient method I can think of...just in case new technology doesn't exist in F/SN's time period...
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote