View Single Post
Old 2012-08-13, 16:04   Link #66
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This was a very disappointing conclusion to the arc.

They really wanted to push out this idea about the genius who us common people always have to look up to and feel inadequate to in comparison, and that sometimes this genius may not even like using their talents that much for a specific task.

The arc came down to this same realization on three different fronts: Oreki with the student council President who wanted his friend to keep working on the manga, Mayaka's senpai who could never make as good as manga as her friend, and of course Satoshi with the fact that he feels he could never match Oreki.

Sorry but really? We waited all these episodes for this? On a narrative level I just find this a tad underwhelming.

I appreciated the development of Satoshi in this arc very much, it was lovely seeing his outer exterior crack a little bit in the face of his jealousy. However, having the entire arc be about the same thing to me was just a bit too redundant for my own liking.

I also have a sense of being led around by the nose by Mayaka's character arc. She gets treated like crap, and then it ends like that? I don't really see any meaningful growth on her front when initially I thought it might be going somewhere more interesting. Just not a terribly interesting turn of events.

Not going to even get started on how stupid the conclusion to Chitanda's little character arc was either.

Yeah mark Kanya festival as the second worst arc after EBA.