View Single Post
Old 2007-12-30, 23:29   Link #1
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Top Ten Favourite Battle Themes In Anime

I actually had this idea for a fun topic a while ago, then forgot about it, but now I remember. The idea is for people too list there top ten favourite battle themes from any anime for other people to compare and talk about. Here are the loose rules for the thread:

1. The song has to have been used during a sequence where combat is happening. People can use their own judgement, but it should hopefully be fairly clear if it's meant to be for combat.

2. The song can be either vocal or instrumental, it doesn't matter.

3. Give the name of the song followed by the anime in brackets. If you don't know the songs name then shame on you for listing it. Just kidding, but let us know where it appeared and the series in which it did.

4. As an option you can explain why you like a certain song.

5. Preferrably list your picks in descending order of 10 to 1.

Here I go then.

10. GX that Running Past (Gundam X): A piece featuring lots of drums, an ominous brass background portion and lots of power. Kind of sounds like it belongs in an old James Bond film.
9. Ground Zero (Brain Powered): Orchestral piece played when the Baron Zu attacks. It's flighty and fast paced and makes the Baron Zu's presence feel like a demonic and dangerous one. It also sounds a bit like the Dragon Quest battle theme at certain points.
8. Trembling Lives (Victory Gundam): Song played when the League Militaire characters are at a disadvantage. Again a very orchestral piece with a foreboding tone.
7. Fleet Battle (Zeta Gundam): Used during the huge battles. Very very dramatic and epic sounding.
6. The White Ghost (Victory Gundam): Orchestral song with several layers of music that's usually played during battles in the lower atmosphere. It seems designed to evoke a feeling of aerial combat, as this is the first Gundam series where some of the units can actually fly on their own power and they liked to do it a lot.
5. Ground Operation (Zeta Gundam) A pure product of the 80's with lots of synth sounds, and pumping background beat, and an overall dramatic feel to it.
4. The Blue monday e'r'ectrical parade (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann): A techno beat that first plays during the second half of the series, and remains the mainstay battle them for the series. The perfect song for when lots of explosions are going off. Somebody also needs to make a dancestep of this for DDR.
3. Dogfighter (Super Dimensional Fortress Macross): A very fast passed song that works well with some of the tense battles of the series. It also has a fantasy feel to it, which is really neat as you see the characters soaring through the skies and dodging missiles.
2. The Militia March (Turn A Gundam): A military march used in some of the combat sequences in the series, as well as during the end credits. It has a civil war era flair to it with drums and trumpets, as well as a large build up to a climax (seems to be a staple of Yoko Kanno BGM), and remains one of the most unique pieces I have ever experienced in an anime.
1. Dogfight (Macross Plus): This song keeps on building to one hell of a climax, and uses a full orchestra for the piece. It's so ingrained in me that on some layer of my subconcious the song is always playing and threatens to burst to the upper layer. Anytime I think of music it often pops up too and I start humming it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote