View Single Post
Old 2012-09-30, 10:29   Link #30772
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Yeah but what reasons do we have to think Yasu actually believes in magic? She very consistently relies on human means to make things happen.

The only counter-examples I can think of are the butterfly broach, and Chick-Beato's golden truth.

But does she really believe that she can revive the dead purely off of faith? For someone who understands the "trick" side of "magic" as well as Yasu does, I have difficulty accepting that.
Hi there, I almost never post here, but I do lurk the crap out of this thread, looking for a chance for me to chime in. This, I believe, is that chance. I agree with what you say, and I believe that the theory above is either worded poorly or doesn't fully consider Yasu's character.

Somewhat unrelated, but here's my two cents on how Yasu can create vessels like that brooch. I've read a good share of New Age books when I was younger. Some of them talked about attaching an idea to a physical object to make it feel like that object had some power over that idea in the real world. In the context of the butterfly brooch, Yasu would have attached the idea of "confidence in love" to it (which would have been symbolized by the spell Beato put on it), which could have allowed her to feel more confident around George and allowed her to act more confident as well. Almost like a lucky rabbit's foot or something like that. In this way Yasu could believe in "magic" (although that's more psychology than magic) while still having a good control over how she perceives reality (most people I know that have good-luck charms are far from "totally off the deep end").