View Single Post
Old 2010-07-05, 11:10   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Comments about the ones on your list that I know about:

Baka to Test Shoukanjuu - The source material is a light novel not manga. Although there is a manga out. The manga follows the light novel much closer than the anime (which moved things around plotwise). From what I've seen the plot seems to develop better in the novel/manga.

Chrome Shelled Regios - Again the source material is a light novel. The plot is very similar up till the anime ending, which goes a completely different direction from the original plot. The light novel ending is better, but more than that it just has a few small changes and touches that greatly improves the story in my opinion. There are actually 2 manga adaptions, neither of which have gotten very far yet- so I can't say much about them. One of them is pretty clearly an ode to Felli Loss and appears to focus more on the interaction between Felli and "FonFon".

Chrono Crusade - The manga has a very different ending from the anime. Personally I really liked the anime ending, but most people prefer the manga.

CLANNAD - Original source is a visual novel/dating game, I don't know anything about the manga.

Code Geass - This was an anime original, so I suspect the anime is the better version.

Full Metal Panic! - The original sources are light novels, but the anime and the manga versions all closely follow the same plot.

Gankutsuou – The Count of Monte Cristo - Just read the book. It's a classic, and it's a great action adventure story. (It would also be very embarrassing to admit in polite company that you'd seen an anime adaption of The Count of Monte Cristo, but never read the actual source).

Neon Genesis Evangelion - An anime original, the manga adds some additional elements to Rei's character and relationship with Shinji that I really liked. Other than that I preferred the original anime series. In my opinion out of all the variations I've seen I'd say the original series + End of Evangelion is the best, but all of the variations seem to be decent.

Soul Eater - About half way through the anime the plot departed from the manga and went in a very different direction, emphasizing the comedic aspects much more. The manga gets serious and pretty much stays serious with some occasional lightheartedness. I didn't care for the anime ending so I tend to prefer the manga.

Some other notably good manga that you might want to check out:

Ranma 1/2 - One of the classic anime, and I think the manga did a better job of handling the story.

H2 - Epic baseball manga. Well done, and the anime version is abbreviated. Although the panty shots do get annoying. I just want to watch the darn ball game, not ogle cheerleaders...

Change 1 2 3 - Violence, nudity, and actual plot lines with significant character development. A surprising combination.

Hayate the Combat Butler

The World God Only Knows (has an anime adaption coming out soon)

Mirai Nikki (has an anime adaption coming out soon)

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?