View Single Post
Old 2013-01-13, 23:17   Link #57
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Not to go all DBZ in power level discussion here, but with the exception of Mamoru, they all seem pretty gifted with their skills. To me it'd be like arguing about who the smartest person in Mensa is.
On one of the forums I used to frequent, we'd use "feats" (notable and pertinent accomplishments the character has achieved that speaks to his or her overall power, strength, intelligence, speed, etc...) to compare and measure characters against each other. This was for the purpose of trying to ascertain who would most likely win a fight between two or more fictional characters.

Going by that approach...

Satoru: As a kid, he did massive damage to an entire army of opposing Queerats. He killed an awful lot of them. His ability to manipulate the environment around him is very high-end. He also has high stamina, and reacts quickly and decisively to threats thrown against him. I don't see much reason to think that his adult self is any less powerful

Maria: Close to flight capabilities, and has hover/levitation abilities. Nobody else is shown using this as frequently as Maria is, so maybe this is something Maria is uniquely good at. I don't recall Maria using her powers much for pure offense, but it stands to reason that if she can make herself "fly", she should be able to do the same to any object no heavier than she herself is, and use such an object as a projectile. So I'd say she's, at worst, close to Satoru in raw offensive capability. And almost!flight is probably an edge she has on him.

Saki: She killed one of those giant cats once, and just by uttering a few words and making it somehow implode. Given that those cats are designed for the express purpose of killing kid/teenaged cantus users, that's pretty impressive. She seems to be able to engage in levitation from time-to-time, but she doesn't use it as much as Maria does. Saki strikes me as the most clever, resourceful, and resolute of our protagonists. This episode suggests that Satoru might have a stamina edge on her, though.

Mamoru: He also seemed to kill one of those giant cats once.

On the whole, I'd say the four are fairly close, with slightly different aptitudes. Going just by "feats", I'd feel more comfortable taking on entire army with Satoru at my side, since he's "proven" in that regard. OTOH, Saki and/or Mamoru might be better at one-on-one combat judging by their own feats. I'd probably prefer Saki as an ally if the threat was one very powerful guy.