View Single Post
Old 2008-08-01, 15:26   Link #1190
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
This question is often addressed in philosophical discussions as to whether or not morality/ethics could exsist without God/gods (i.e. without a divine pressence that has bestowed the "Word" upon mankind, how else would we be creatures with morality - religion would, consequently, be the source by which morality is spread.) Since I believe that society started as a Zero Sum Game ("an eye for an eye") mixed with basic empathy, I see no reason for a specific religion, to be the foundations for moral codes of conduct, though I freely admit that religion is a great way to spread socially accepted ideas of morality to the masses.

But, since I acknowledge that mankind's interpretation of God(s) could be flawed, I am still open to the possibility of a God or gods actually exsisting.
Looking at human morality from an evolutionary (biology) perspective is actually quite enlightening. How humans work together and understand one another, as well as even human altruism, can all be explained by some proposed theories about hominid evolution. How these basal instincts have affected society's development is a different story, but at our core we have an evolved moral code (which we can disobey, but...)
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote