View Single Post
Old 2013-03-14, 21:27   Link #32
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Simply awesome penultimate episode. What a picture-perfect cliffhanger!

I honestly think that one of Gen's talents as writer doesn't get enough play - The man knows how to do thrilling Hollywood Action Blockbuster-type narratives.

Just spectacularly suspenseful setup for Kougami vs. Makishima vs. Akane, where the stakes are very, very high. And at least two of them must "lose" (if Akane achieves her goals, then Kougami will be denied his long-desired revenge).

I have to agree with Roger. For good or for ill, it's really hard to imagine a believable Madoka-esque ending happening now.

Tomomi had a truly badass send off. The guy really deserves props for being the only person thus far to actually overwhelm Makishima in hand-to-hand combat. I have to admit I found it amusing for the oldest major character to be able to take down the young, fit, and fast Makishima.

One strong theme really permeated through this episode for me.

Makishima's words about how Sibyl Japan eliminates "communities", and causes people to become more isolated from one another, powerfully resonated with me.

And I think we might see the very personification of this argument in Tomomi and Gino.

Tomomi represents old, pre-Sybil Japan. He represents a more old-fashioned way of viewing the world. He talks about things like "a man's pride", and there's a certain quaint sentimentality to Tomomi that really stands out in the world of Psycho-Pass. Tomomi is like a counterpoint to cold, "logical", "rational" Sybil.

Gino represents new Sybil Japan. He represents its firmness, its obedience, its focus on perfect order. A man's pride means less than a man's role, given to him by the Sibyl system. That role is everything, and must be honored, even if it tears down the bond between father and son.

Despite their differences, Tomomi loves his son and would do everything he could to protect him. And while Gino is scornful of the obsolete ways of his father, there is a lingering emotional tie there that cannot be completely denied. In the end, Gino switched from calling Tomomi "Enforcer" to calling him "dad". That was a powerful moment.

If Gino represents Sibyl Japan, and Tomomi pre-Sybil Japan, then I think there are two ways to interpret their scene here. One hopeful, one tragic.

Gino's ability to re-embrace his father in the end shows how Sybil Japan may re-embrace its "father", and become more like the Japan of old.

On the other hand, Gino shouting "It's too late!" could carry the opposite meaning - That Sibyl Japan is simply too far gone. It has lost something beautiful. It has lost it for good. Just like how Gino has lost his father.

The final episode of this anime will not likely be a Madoka end. It might be something even more famous. It might be a Orwell's 1984 end.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - Orwell's 1984.

Might this be updated to "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a brain gradually eroding away humanity - forever."?

That will probably depend on Akane. Her character growth has been fantastic. Truly wondrous to behold. But is it enough for her to win totally?