View Single Post
Old 2011-02-15, 14:06   Link #884
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
But that apart what I really cannot stomach in EP8 is his implied message that the truth is not important if not outright evil. What kind of message he wanted to deliver us by showing us such an awful "kakera" for Ange when you decide to choose reality over magic?

Reality is bad, escapism is good?

Is that it? Is this the final moral message he wanted to convey?
I can't really relate to that...
I don't really think so. I got the feeling that escapism and fantasy were only one form of magic (perhaps an immature form?) and that the whole "black and white" thing indicated that magic's true nature is rooted in emotion and how you perceive people.

In this case, Ange can either go "fuck it, everything good in my life is dead and Amakusa and everyone associated with him is probably an asshole," or she could go "Hey, you know what? The most important bits of the people I care about are still inside me. The things I learned from them are a part of me. This is what it means to be the Witch of Resurrection, and with Maria's magic of dissolving hatred with forgiveness and kindness, the world can become a better place."

Reducing magic to merely "illusion" kind of fucks up a lot of dialogue into making no sense, the biggest example off the top of my head being the end of Ange's 1998 journey.