View Single Post
Old 2011-06-16, 17:19   Link #148
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

As back in the Madoka days, I once again find myself stirring the mixing pot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
But that is not what is the main issue for me here. The main issue is the insensitive and outright callous attitude the mother has towards her daughter when she comes to confront her about it. The feeling I get is that Satsuki did not want a daughter, but found herself pregnant and found that the child "got in her way", but grudgingly accepted the responsibility of raising the child. Even now it seems that is the "default setting" ... she does have some motherly feelings for Ohana, but the over-riding feeling of "Satsuki first" (and in a self centered way) is still present. Of course, on the bright side of things the very fact that Satsuki did not abort Ohana and agreed to provide for her is a good thing - perhaps a huge step forward for her. But imo she still has a lot of work to do....
You are being too judgmental on Satsuki here. Who Satsuki is now does not necessarily reveal who Satsuki was in the past - lots of things change in 16 years. The existence of Ohana and Satsuki's decision to send her away may not be proof that Satsuki is progressing as a mother... quite the opposite, even. Maybe she's degenerated from a loving, caring parent to someone who lives solely for her own self-interest.

Even so, I still feel Satsuki is trying to protect Ohana in her own messed up type of way. We've all seen stories when a parent makes a living through dangerous or morally appalling means, and tries to send their child away so they don't grow up to be just as bad as their parent. In the same way Satsuki is trying to protect her own daughter from growing up as the child of some dishonest, bribed review writer by sending Ohana somewhere she'll learn the values of hard work and family. Satsuki is separating herself from Ohana because she loves her daughter.