View Single Post
Old 2011-06-17, 01:11   Link #152
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
But I am still not convinced at this point. No doubt more will be revealed as the series progresses - but atm I am not very impressed with Satsuki, although I have a sneaking suspicion there is a lot more to her than is being presented.

Ah well.
I suppose the writer makes a stylistic choice in keeping Satsuki's past a mystery for now, rather than explicating the reasons why she's so self-interested immediately after she gives many inns a negative review. Building up to the big reveal is pretty commonplace among anime, and I believe the writer intentionally wishes for the viewers to hate on Satsuki now.

I don't entirely understand why a viewer needs to be convinced of Satsuki's hidden caring side... even though I do respect evaluating characters as of the current episode. Personally I'm alright with Satsuki being an unloving parent to her own daughter - Satsuki's personality adds needed diversity to a show where everyone is a nice person. (Well, Tohru and Madam Manager excluded...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanashi View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, both Sui and Enishi have mentioned how similar Satsuki and Ohana are. And Ohana herself a bit when she mentioned that she must get her lack of consideration/obliviousness to the situation (kuuki yomenai-ness, for lack of a better way to put it) from her mother...
I wouldn't mistake obliviousness for eagerness, but you can make the case as a devil's advocate. Ohana doesn't think through her actions; instead she chooses to rush headfirst into solving every visible problem and injustice. Because she's so attentive and considerate of everyone around her, Ohana chooses to fling herself into their lives and try to make things right.