Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-07, 04:18   Link #93
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
That's actually a distortion, though. Hard drives are very expensive right now due to the flooding in Thailand. The factories haven't yet recovered from the damage.
And just about the time my externals started dying... I've come to the horrible realization that they put absolute junk inside the cases and sell them for reliable external disks... I'm going internal+case next time, even if it's a bit more expensive.

Speaking of hardware, Windows 8 installed drivers for most of my peripherals on the fly, even my Epson printer has what seem like custom drivers, and the Nvidia driver is concurrent. The only thing it didn't install was drivers for my Xonar D2, but the latest Unixonar Windows 7 drivers installed without much fuss, once I understood what the Blue "Application Blocked" bar is and how it worked, a pretty neat trick for a new OS.

As I said my serious gripe is with the metro apps, the OS under the hood seems improved overall from 7, which is sad because the metro apps are so appalling I may actually stay with 7, if I can live with 7's slower windows explorer.

@Vexx Lurking, my anime pile is growing but my watchlist is empty so I just mostly lurk. IF you end up playing ME3, be sure to stop when a beam hits you or there's hair pulling and headdesking afterwards.