View Single Post
Old 2014-03-11, 06:33   Link #1
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Recent Doraemon Film Censored on TV Asahi Broadcast

So, Anime News Network reported on something... I find rather surprising and to be perfectly honest, shocked that it would even happen. It has apparently reported that the recent Doraemon movie, Doraemon: Nobita no Himitsu no Dogu Museum, was censored on the March 6th broadcast of the film on TV Asahi.

Apparently the scene that was censored was Shizuka's clothing being ripped and sucked into a vacuum cleaner, which they censored by overlaying a seam of light, much like those found in late night anime broadcasts. Someone posted some shots from the DVD/BD and the TV airing, which you can find [in the link behind the nsfw tags as the site it links to is filled with such imagery on the sides]:

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

As to my opinion? Honestly, I'm disappointed. I never thought I'd see Doraemon, of all things, be censored by the network it originated from. Not to mention, the method of censorship is very much like that of what you expect from a late night anime, too, which does not sit well with me either. What puzzles me more is the fact that the scene in question was fine when it ran in theaters, but too much to show on TV? This makes little sense to me, especially given the network has been fine with scenes like this in the past.

This is particularly concerning, when the whole scene in question was just meant for comedic purposes and less provocative. If anything, the method of censorship seems to make it seem more lewd then it really is.

I'm really wondering why Japan has been more sensitive to these things as of late, when they never used to be a problem in the past.

I don't know, what's your guys opinions about this?

Last edited by Flower; 2014-03-14 at 06:02.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote