Thread: TERA Online
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-14, 04:03   Link #15
Jaden

Well, you can switch some files to get the korean models, and also korean or japanese voices if you want. It's against the terms of service though I think, so do it at your own risk. But all that's available on the net...just saying.

I played in the closed betas of this game with some dudes, and actually really enjoyed it. I think this is my favourite MMO at the moment.

That said, it has its share of weaknesses and I fear for its future. Maintaining the balance and adding new content is really important for an MMO. Currently the game is averagely popular in Korea and apparently dying in Japan. However, plenty of big updates are still planned for the Korean version of the game this year. If they can keep developing and marketing the game for the western crowd it might become popular yet.

For a roleplayer it's not a very evocative game. Even the Enmasse folks who were showing off the game at gamescom(?) admit the story is just a backdrop and not something they are greatly invested in. That means it's going to be that much harder to get in character.

The way the combat works is really cool, though. It allows for a lot of challenge in PvE encounters as well as interesting PvP. The way you can't move once you use an ability and have to wait out the predetermined attack animation makes things clunky, but also very much tactical. And you should keep in mind some people got gear with +55% attack speed in the end game, so things are going to get rather hectic there.