View Single Post
Old 2010-10-25, 12:32   Link #94
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
We need Ayase x Kyosuke end, so that all these people who lambast this series will go away.

After watching the fourth ep, and seeing that comparison. I'm a bit down due to the fact that some people in the studio just want to flat out sell. I'd rather have the scene as faithful to the source because it pretty much ruins Kyousuke's character and intent. Bring your stupid fanservice to Sora no Otoshimono, where it belongs... I like where OreImou is going and I don't want those moments just because they want to sell flesh. I'd rather see a story flow, rather than this.
Was it stupid fanservice, though?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I've come to the conclusion that the rampant prevalence of pointless fanservice in various settings has caused people to become a bit too trigger-happy when labeling things that way. People see ecchi situations or partial nudity or what have you, and simply say "fanservice!"

Now I'm not going to take the idealistic opposite position and say that the studio had entirely chaste intentions, but the whole incident wasn't pointless either. If it had no consequences, it'd be pointless, but it wasn't, because that scene affected to some degree the way Kirino's friends perceive her brother, and it was also enough of a disturbance that it derailed the situation that Kirino feared would damn her in her friends' eyes.

Yes, it was ecchi. If it had simply been something to distract from Kirino's H-doujin, then perhaps a less ecchi scene would have sufficed. But there's the further purpose of playing up Ayase's personality in that, after seeing such a thing with her own eyes, she is actually willing to approach Kyousuke, clear the situation up, and exchange numbers with him. If it had been a less catastrophic misunderstanding, her kind nature and her apparent keenness on Kyousuke would not have been so emphasized.

It serves two meaningful story functions, and thus I hardly consider it stupid.