View Single Post
Old 2013-01-31, 17:47   Link #84
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I have to say, the series was pretty damned good at timing its comedic gags, and reusing them at appropriate parts (rocket chairs, for example).
I watched this series twice - once on my own, and then a second time through with my wife. I remember smiling at the rocket chairs, but didn't think they were that funny. They were even less funny the second time through, when I knew to expect them. But boy, my wife lost it when that part came up. She laughed so hard that she was in tears. If I bring it up at random she still laughs at the memory of it. Well done, Key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
In the end, while it is true that if you want to view Angel Beats as a romance where a guy meets a lonely girl and he tries to get her to form an identity and move on with her life, it's quite a failure.
I think that a large part of what made Angel Beats intriguing wasn't so much the character development and interaction (which was good, but not really unique), but the setting. Here you have a group of people who are basically going through the same routine for eternity, knowing that they're no longer living but not knowing what's next. Trying to make Kanade fail an exam may have seemed silly, but you figure that they've probably tried hundreds, if not thousands of things before this. They're trying something new, to see if they can create a different outcome.

Haven't all of us who have played video games done that? I remember when I was younger, it wasn't enough to get to the ending of a game - I wanted to discover every little secret, every little glitch, and just try do to things that probably weren't even designed to be possible. In a way, I figured that was what the characters in Angel Beats were doing, too. I really liked that premise, and in a way it also made the ending even more endearing.