View Single Post
Old 2015-07-09, 19:04   Link #722
Life's Swirl
Dream Listener

Dear goodness a FOODIE THREAD!!

I is happy~

Chicken Doria (Or Rice Gratin)

Ingredients:
Cooked rice: 2 cups (I always used leftover Basmati or Japanese rice)
Minced chicken: ½ cup
Chopped vegetables: 1 cup (tightly packed) You can use a mix of carrot, beans, broccoli, potato, peas, snowpeas, asparagus, spinach, cabbage, capsicum etc.)
Mushroom: 1/3 cup cleaned and chopped
Onion: 1 medium (sliced)
Butter: 1 tbsp (I used olive oil)
Oil: 1 tbsp (I used olive oil)
Pepper powder: ½ tsp
Lemon juice: ½ tsp
Salt

For the white sauce:
Flour: 11/2 tbsp
Butter: 11/2 tbsp
Milk: 11/2 cups
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper powder

Cheese: to top the whole dish, I used mozzarella

Method:
Heat the oil and butter in a big pan or kadhai and fry the onion for a minute. Add the vegetables, mushroom, salt and pepper powder fry till the raw smell is gone (2 minutes.) add the chicken and fry again till the chicken pieces turn white and the juice from it is dried (another 3-4 minutes). Add the rice, lemon juice and cook for 2-3 minutes till the rice is coated with the vegetables and spices. There should not be any extra moisture in it. Keep the salt on a lower side as most cheeses are little salty. Keep aside.

To prepare the white sauce you need a sturdy whisk. Warm the milk in a microwave and keep handy. Heat the butter and add the flour, salt and pepper powder. Cook it on low flame till the raw smell of the flour is gone. Add in the warmed milk and whisk continuously to get a lump free mix. Keep cooking on low and keep whisking. The sauce will thicken within a minute. Once its thick and creamy, take off.

Now take a shallow baking dish. I prefer to use my Borosil 8”X8” square baking bowl for this along with a small Domit baking pan. You can alternatively use aluminium shallow bowls for this.

Spread the rice in an even layer, cover it with a thin layer of white sauce and finally slice or grate your favourite cheese to top. Be generous with the cheese and entirely cover the whole dish to get a thick crust on top.

Bake in a pre-heated 210 C oven for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden. Serve hot and dig in with a spoon.

I first found this dish while playing Star Ocean The Second Story (technically, it was Shrimp Doria) and thought it sounded awesome so, I looked it up and gave it a shot. Was soooo not disappointed and you can easily replace the chicken with shrimp.