Thread: Licensed Tari Tari
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-21, 17:39   Link #1111
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think it's pretty demeaning to say music is "just a hobby" to Wakana. I think it's something she loved but forced herself to give up because of the painful association with her mother.
The way they approach music/horseback riding is definitively different. Music has solely personal meaning to Wakana. She said it herself: She'd give it up in a heartbeat if she could meet her mom again. To her music is a gateway to a part of her past.
Sawa on the other hand is willing to put in blood and sweat to improve and gain others' approval as a professional, and to prove her competence through competition. That's what separates people who do things as a hobby and those who want to do them as professionals. It doesn't mean one is more worthy than the other (that depends only on whether the choice helps the person reach happiness) but it does make Sawa's goal much harder to achieve, because being acknowledged as a professional is not the same as finding personal satisfaction in what you do. Wakana is completely content keeping music on the level of a hobby, but Sawa wants to take a step further, go to school and completely devote herself to what she does.
And speaking of what Wakana said to Sawa, yes, she was being kinda insensitive, even if her intentions were good. Sawa's been working to become a jockey for as long as she can remember and now Wakana tells her she should think if those feelings are genuine and basically consider joining the group of people who have no idea what they want with their life. I could understand if Sawa lacked talent, but the only reason she can't achieve her dream is because of something that's not her fault and that she has no way of changing. Wakana may have accepted the loss her mother, but Sawa didn't fail anything, she didn't become an invalid. She's, from what I gathered, fairly good at riding, but she isn't even given a chance to prove herself due to her weight. Weight requirements or not, that's enough to make anyone bitter.

I'm not taking sides on an issue such as this, but I think it's unfair saying Sawa should just "get over" losing something she's been trying to achieve for so long. There are people who grow out of what they want to do and find something else that suits them, but there are also those who take on "safe" jobs and end up forever hating them. It depends solely on the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Well, now I just hope that Sawa's problem doesn't get "magically" fixed by her dad's threatening call to the riding school.
I want Sawa to understand that her body isn't built to be a jockey and that there are many other jobs that she can do with horses.
I don't want this show to fall into the standard shounen anime cliche that hard work and determination can overcome any obstacle.
While I agree a deus ex machina change of heart from school would be a bad idea, it would be just as unrealistic if she simply accepted her situation as if she didn't lose anything of importance. Or rather, it would make it seem like she was never serious about her dream in the first place.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote