View Single Post
Old 2007-07-02, 15:01   Link #92
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorai View Post
I thought that furigana is printed only in books for children. Tsubasa chronicles also have furigana though.
Well, it depends how young the target audience is. For very young children (still might be considered babies depending who you ask, actually), there would be no kanji, and no katakana, either. This is because children are taught hiragana first.

For young children who are say, around late-elementary school age, early-middle school age, the manga will be printed primarily in kana, but will include simple kanji. I own a few manga series like this, and there is no furigana.

I think for series such as L*S (and Tsubasa) that could appeal to a larger age range instead of such a specific age group, there is a decent amount of kanji plus furigana. The only time there is really heavy usage of kanji and *no* furigana is when it's a disturbing series meant ONLY for mature adults. It's a clever way of censoring the series from children with grabby hands ne. (And it discourages gaijin such as myself who also have grabby hands when it comes to manga.)
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote