View Single Post
Old 2006-03-19, 22:21   Link #31
doctorwu

Mirai -- to answer your question, yes, I've seen all of the seasons of Crest of the Stars and they were hot with extra t's.

I've been downloading a couple episodes from a bunch of the recommended series this week and sneaking in an ep or two when I can, and I think I've got a little more suggestion-fodder for you.

"Yes!/Yay!" Shows ...
-- Gankutsuou: I was originally put off by the fact that this whole series is based on Dumas' Counte of Monte Cristo, a book I've read and seen a gagillion adaptions of. But its new setting renews the atmosphere, and it's seen from a different perspective than that of Dumas' narrator. The show also uses a new animation technique that is super-cool.
-- Haruka Naru Toki no Naka is a blend of Escaflowne, Fushigi Yuugi, Juuni Kokki -- it incorporates good elements from each while avoiding most of the things that I normally hate about magical-girl shows. This one doesn't take itself too seriously, its dialogue is natural and moves along at a acceptable clip, and it's characters, while obviously stolen, are often superior to (read: less annoying than) the originals. It's escapist and it owns it.
-- Maria-sama ga Miteru: How, how can I not love a show entitled "The Virgin Mary is Watching You"? Catholic school yuuri shoujo ... so over the top in its Badness that it loops back around to Awesome.
-- Gunparade March: This is an interesting blend of genre ... I see some Full Metal Panic-esque potential for high-stakes action + funny situation comedy. Not far in .. but I intend to continue watching.

The Jury is out ...
Narutaru: This show is light-hearted and simple. But has the potential to be so, so creepy. I am talking the kind of creepy that makes you sleep with the light on. And its intro sequence is done in pseudo-crayon. Therein, compatriots, lies the genius that is Narutaru. However! I have been warned that the plot becomes disjointed and that the ending is very unsatisfying -- I am worried that it may lack the philosophical redemption of "Now and Then Here and There" or "Fantastic Children". Watch @ my own risk, I guess.
-- Kiddy Grade: although I'm still befuddled at episode 7 by ayyo's description, "It's about a girl who never dies dealing her tainted past", I still am going to stick it out a little longer to see how the characters develop. So far I wouldn't put this in the 'gem' category, but hey, I'll watch it.

"Maybe not" ...
-- Mushishi: A lot of people like Mushishi a lot, but I felt no plot continuity from the first few episodes. In a show like Kiddy Grade, that relies on its gimicky attitude & fan-service to carry the show, this can be overlooked, but Mushishi doesn't have enough else going for it to ignore overarching plot.
-- Air: after an hour and a half or so in Air-land, I am unimpressed with the characters. I have seen the 'love-interest' prototypes so often at this point that I can literally predict what hair color, size, shape and seiyuu any given female character will have. The story might be intriguing later on, but I found myself bogged down in repititious cliches.

So! I am still picking up some of the other recommended series that I have not yet seen, and still looking for shows that try to say something that hasn't already been said by every other show in its genre ... Thanks again for all the help so far.

Last edited by doctorwu; 2006-03-20 at 01:31.