View Single Post
Old 2008-02-21, 00:00   Link #236
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
But has anyone ever thought how politically effective Obama really is? How is he going to get things passed if people in congress won't agree with him? I think Hilary has better connections to get things passed and she has many similar views to Obama, so at least to me, this already makes her a better candidate.
I mentioned this a few pages back, but it's important enough to be repeated: the president's power/job is not to get things passed. On a regular day to day basis, the president's job is to keep Congress in check. I don't care whether they're buddies or not so long as the president isn't afraid to say "this law stinks/is not necessary" and uses his power to veto. George Bush has barely exercised his veto powers and as a result Congress has run wild. It could just be due to my age, but I'd say that the nation has changed a fair bit during these past eight years compared with how things used to be, partly as a result of that.

In times of war or national disaster, the president gets the reigns handed to him by Congress. That's when the president is really supposed to provide the nation with direction. Otherwise, the people provide the direction by electing officials to Congress. In addition to keeping Congress in check, the president is supposed to keep America in good standing with international countries by representing the average American.

I'll repeat my complaint: George Bush really screwed over people's perception of what the president is supposed to be doing.