View Single Post
Old 2008-06-04, 12:48   Link #1074
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
*looks up NAACP*
Quote:
The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (usually abbreviated as NAACP) is one of the oldest and most influential civil rights organizations in the United States.[3] The NAACP was founded on February 12, 1909 by a diverse group composed of W. E. B. Du Bois (African American), Ida B. Wells (African American), Archibald Grimké (African American), Henry Moskowitz (Jewish), Mary White Ovington (white), Oswald Garrison Villard (German-born white), and William English Walling (white, and son of a former slaveholding family),[4][5] to work on behalf of the rights of African Americans. Its name, retained in accord with tradition, is one of the last surviving uses of the term "colored people." The group is based in Baltimore, Maryland.
I was about to say the use of 'coloured' seems kinda outdated.
But I see, it'd probably have to be something I'd have to take up more with other 'afro americans' i believe the PC term is, it's a constant state of curiousity and somtimes bizareness over on our side anyways.
(And yes, we learn about the whole 400 hundred slave history thing in secondary school too) since it applies for the carribbean countries too as well as America, so we're a lil clued up here, solomon

Anyways, that was my 'let's ask some americans about this' question for the day, lol.

I figure from now it's a red vs blue war and the mud will start slinging soon enough.
Saying that, it's time to give the thread back to it's original topic and I'll just lurk here and there.
BBC usually keeps us informed anyways....
Thanks for the responses tho. ^^

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote