View Single Post
Old 2011-12-04, 13:34   Link #35146
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coin View Post
Sigan and DC are still alive! I can't wait for Dezo and Radiant to show up! Crazy Hayate was funny btw.
I'm still alive, just not around as much . I think you might have a long wait for Dezo and RB though.

Hehe, I'm glad you liked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I understand that it's not uncommon for fics to have the story told after the confession/engagement/marriage, especially if it's between two characters where readers would automatically agree "yeah, that could work."

The problem is that, for me at least, HayatexVivio is not exactly the most plausible of pairings, and I still have trouble imagining just how the hell that happened - and until the convincing "how" finally gets written, I will most likely stay like that. The writers undoubtedly already know how, either in just broad strokes or maybe to the tiniest of details, but I as a reader simply don't.

The unfortunate end is that whenever I read these "after stories", I could never shake off the implausibility and can only react with "whatever works for the odd couple, I guess"
Ah, I think I see the issue people are talking about. It's the lack of progression of scenes that build to a persuasive "argument" for Hayate and Vivio being together, which would naturally come from reading stories in sequence about them together?

The unfortunate thing I see from that issue is, well...the only story I wrote to try and "convince" the readers about the plausibility of the pairing is "You Never Lose By Loving," the first story. In all the other stories, I try to sell the strength of the pairing within the story itself*, not to the reader. (There was a whole discussion about this point quite a few pages back, so I'm not going to go over it again. But basically, I don't think as a writer I can convince anyone of a pairing they don't like, and I won't even bother trying. People like what they like). Some of my good friends read everything I write yet I still can't convince them of Hayate/Vivio, which is perfectly fine by me ^^. I didn't start writing the Hayate x Vivio Files to convince people of the pairing, I did it to entertain myself and those who think it's a funny pairing.

*Although if the particular story is lacking on genuineness regarding the relationship, I'd love to hear that feedback, since that means the single story itself is poorly written and that's something I'd need to fix.

So I really don't think that people will get the "how did they fall in love/get into a relationship/start dating" story that will be satisfying to what they want to see . The "how" moments, in my opinion, are either expressed in "You Never Lose By Loving" or in bits and pieces through the other stories. In "YNLBL" for example, it's Vivio finding the courage to voice her feelings. In "PotB," it's about Hayate and Vivio understanding and accepting the idea of an unconventional relationship, and getting to the point where they can meet on common ground. In "TTWT," it's about Vivio accepting herself and getting a new perspective on her relationship with Hayate. All those elements could be combined into a single multi-chapter story, but then the pacing of it becomes like a conventional romance, and I admit that I'm delighted that this unconventional romance is written in an unconventional way .
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote