View Single Post
Old 2006-01-13, 19:34   Link #91
SlugZilla
woofles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
Turn A Gundam not being a Gundam argument has a few flaws. Its created by a person who created Gundam it self so if he says this show is a Gundam then its pretty much a Gundam (sounds lame but its true). Second point this show still continues the standard Mother Earth vs Space setting, except with a twist where the people in space want to return and live on Earth.
I don't care if Turn A is Gundam or not, but I do think it would've been better off had it not been. So there are many similarities between Turn A and Gundam, but then again there are many similarities between Gundam and other mecha series.
Quote:
Final point: what makes a mecha show a Gundam? I can only think of having a red, white, blue/black, yellow mecha called a Gundam and a conflict between governments, races whatever. So what's left? Taking place in a futuristic setting? Well it is, the Moon has cities and humans living on it and Earth is simply following Einstein's famous quote: "I do not know how the Third World War will be fought, but I can tell you what they will use in the Fourth—rocks!"
So what's left?
What makes a mecha show Gundam? That definition lost it's meaning with AU. Now it's just the title. Anything with the name Gundam in it becomes geniune "Gundam" and is identified, compared, and bunched together with all other Gundam works. Gundam now is just a category nothing more, and I think Turn A deserves more than just being categorized into one of the other Gundam series. It's not a knock on Gundam, it's just that Turn A deserves to stand on its own name, to define a series of its own like Eva, and Escaflowne.
Quote:
I'm sorry you're wrong. Turn A is pretty much a SF not a fantasy (steampunk genre if I'm not mistaken). Actually I can't recall any fantasy elements what so ever (can you point out some examples where Turn A is cleary a fantasy genre) unless you count technology that can never happen but if you do that all the Gundams are nothing but fantasy.
Actually I think UC Gundam technology seems possible, but Turn A not. How do you say that UC Gundam technology is impossible? From that definition of fantasy then UC Gundam is already fantasy because of newtypes. The moonlight butterfly is like a weapon that is straight out of fantasy, the way it can completely devour a planet. Also the way that Turn A can heal its own wounds. Fantasy is also imaginative, not just a question of possibility. Turn A has completely unique designs that no serious minded person would ever conjure up when designing a mobile suit. The way Turn A first appears is like from a legend: "A giant rises from the earth and saves humanity from the invaders from the skies". Also how Turn A and Turn X's last epic battles that seals them in a coccoon, that's nothing like the sci-fi battles I've seen. I can't really imagine Turn A happening in real life. I can *almost* imagine something like MSG w/o newtypes happening, but Turn A to me is like a folk tale.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote